Last Updated 7/29/2021
University of California, Santa Barbara Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
IEEE Lab Rules
Social Distancing Policies
The IEEE lab will be open for Summer 2021! We will be enforcing the following safety guidelines in accordance with campus policies:
Any persons visiting the IEEE lab must:
- wear masks in the lab at all times, regardless of vaccination status
- show the green Student Health badge upon entry
- use hand sanitizer on entry and wipe down work surface on exit
- use the lab checker (you just need your Access Card)
- not eat or drink in the lab
- sign & send the COVID compliance self-attestation form to Paul Gritt at firstname.lastname@example.org
- schedule all visits in advance with an intended purpose
- To enter the lab and utilize its resources, you must be a UCSB IEEE paid member.
- An officer must be present whenever a member is in the lab.
- All members (including officers) must sign-in and sign-out with their ACCESS cards upon entry and exit of the lab.
- ALL members are responsible for keeping the lab as clean as possible.
- All tools used must be returned to their original location.
- If a member leaves a significant mess (‘significant’ determined by officers), the member may be reprimanded.
- The lab will be vacuumed once a month by the Lab Manager/Assistant Lab Manager.
- Members can use IEEE equipment only under supervision of an IEEE officer.
- If the equipment being used uses power (soldering irons, oscilloscopes, power tools), members must only power equipment while it is actively being used and turn it off when not being used.
- Most lab equipment should not leave the lab for any purpose, unless an officer is notified.
- The only equipment allowed to leave the lab are small tools, common electrical components, and breadboards, with officer approval.
- If a member damages the lab or any of its equipment (including but not limited to desktops, 3D printer, soldering station, oscilloscope), their lab access may be revoked at the discretion of the officers, and they may re-enter the following quarter after paying the $35 fee again.
- Projects, and any personal belongings, cannot be stored in the lab, unless granted permission by an officer.
- UCSB IEEE is not responsible for your project(s) in any way, shape, or form.
Food and Drink
- ~~Food and drinks are tolerated in the lab, however members are responsible for cleaning after themselves.
- Food and drink should never be stored in the lab unless given permission by an officer
- If a member leaves food/drink waste in the lab, they will no longer be allowed to eat/drink in the lab for the rest of the academic year.~~
- All 3D prints using IEEE-owned filament must be approved by the Lab Manager/Assistant Lab Manager.
- Members must send the .gcode file they wish to print for approval.
- Members are not allowed to print excessively large prints unless they use their own filament and officers are notified.
- ALL members using the 3D printer must leave their contact info near the printer.
- If no information is left behind and another member wishes to use the printer, the print will be stopped.
- All 3D print jobs must be scheduled and should not interfere with IEEE printing projects.
- It is the responsibility of the person printing to keep track of the 3D print.
- Personal filament must be labeled, and we are not liable for lost filament.
Failure to abide by these rules may result in your lab membership being revoked with no refund, and a suspension from the IEEE lab for a period of time up to the discretion of the officer board.
Any questions regarding the above lab rules should be directed to any IEEE officer, listed below:
- Emily O’Mahony
- Ray Chang
- Kelly Lin
- Ethan Sifferman
- Austin Lynch
- Daniel Van Dalsem
- Calvin Jenkins
- Owen Convery
- Roark Chao
- Rhea Desai
- Harshita Gangaswamy